SUPER☆GiRLS

On June 12th of 2010, avex formed it's first audition idol group. 
It's been a little over three years since the lives of 12 young girls were changed. 



Being around for the birth of a group can be a very special thing. In the summer of 2009 I dove headfirst into the idol world, and it became part of the very air I breathe. In that first year, as I researched and gained knowledge, I remember a lot of fan talking about the older days of Morning Musume.

In 1998, I had just moved from Virginia to Michigan. It was sometime around my 3rd grade year in school, and my young mind was miles away from the wonderful world of idols, jpop, and Asian entertainment. So I can't say I've been a fan of any major Hello!Project group since their beginning, with the exception of; S/mileage and Juice=Juice. I love both dearly!!

It wasn't until I HAD been around to see new groups form, that I understood how the connection was slightly different- as least for some. With existing groups, you have to play catch up; visit websites, talks with fans, watch MVs and concerts in order to learn something of the idols and their music. With new groups, everything is new! There is excitement, anticipation. It's fascinating on a different level, if you happen to take interest in the new group in particular.


I discovered SUPER☆GiRLS through my exploration of the first Tokyo Idol Festival, which took place in August 2010, just about two months after S☆G's formation. Talk about new comers! I wanted to cover TIF, to blog about it, make videos, etc. So I studied all the groups participating.

When it was S☆G's turn, I remember pausing the video to stare at each girl, so I could try and tell them apart. I checked out their website and listened to them perform, and I began to like them and wanted to learn their names! I made up nicknames for some of them and assigned them colors in my head before they ever received their member colors.

I became attached to them. We were both new! They were new idols, and I was a new fan of theirs! For once, me and idols were on some sort of level ground! I didn't have to play catch up! It's been wonderful watching them over the years. YEARS! Some people never thought they would last, but I had hope. And now they've been going strong for three years. I'm a proud fan.
 

I wasn't horribly heartbroken when Akieri left. I was sad to see a change in their lineup so soon, but she was never a prominent member IMO. In the idol world, change is inevitable. Sometimes I still fear it. I was very scared when Fudanjuku announced they would be gaining new members. I couldn't believe it when auditions 9, 10, then 11 happened for Momusu! When Kaede was suddenly absent from S☆G, I was puzzled.

The big Miichan scandal had just happened, and it overshadowed Kaede's own scandal. Kaede was a member that had to grow on me some at first. But I came to enjoy her sweet character. To learn that something had been reported (whether true or false) and that she would be leaving the group, I was sad. I know S☆G has had the ambition from the start to rival AKB48. They've definitely been consistent with the summer bikini singles. I hope this is the only scandal for S☆G.

I know it's silly to hope that the lineup would always remain the same. Now with Akieri and Kaepyon gone, it's set in a bit more for me. I really really don't want any of the other girls to leave. And probably my BIGGEST FEAR with them right now, is that avex will screw things up by trying it Tsunku style; as in, opening auditions for new members. I don't want that!!! No new members. Yes, I can and will adapt to change. But please not S☆G.












 S☆G has never AMAZED me with any of their singles. But I have fond memories of the early days of the group, and my early days as a fan. I find myself humming my favorite songs off their first album (Chouzetsu Shoujo) day after day and never tire of them. I'm still very attached to the three songs they performed at TIF2010. I know the chorus lyrics to MAX! Otomegokoro by heart. I enjoy their debut single (Miracle ga Tommanai), even with it's typical newbie style.
Chouzetsu Shoujo

1,000,000 Smile shows how adorable they can be, and Akai Jounetsu shows them equally vulnerable and fierce! The latter is one of my favorite songs, out of the songs that have MVs. I'm not a fan of their 2nd or 3rd bikini themed songs, I don't mind them, I just don't listen to them much. Tokanatsu High Touch, as their latest single, is a disappointment for me. I think Celebration was a turning point for them, and I hope their next release is a impressive.

Celebration focuses less on their member colors, and instead shows them as mature beautiful young women. Instead of the kawaii idol, we get to see a soft, stylish side of them. Though you still get some of their lovable silliness in the various present scenes. I love the rounds in the chorus so much, the dancing is very pretty and works well with the rhythm and tone of the song. The sunlight, the wind, their shadows, the white box. Overall I think it's a gorgeous single for them.


Ah, watching this make me misty eyed. I want it so bad!!! I want all their concert DVDs. There are so many performances that don't make it onto YouTube, and just seeing this little insight makes me want to see more. They've grown so much and come so far in three years. I'm so proud of them!!
June 12, 2010
June 12, 2010

0 comments:

Post a Comment